Stockport St George, and Mears & Stainbank tuning

Bill Hibbert bill at PcmBcX_FTyBCqHCn3Ok28PtJQrF8rFziq9ctGwDqlmo9xlT6KuaHuttVubYe7z5uDqxzvPEH-2BvARY.yahoo.invalid
Fri Jun 23 10:43:36 BST 2006

In an idle moment the other day, I re-looked at the tuning figures
for Stockport after the various discussions, and discovered to my
great interest that the nominals appeared to have been tuned 'by
ear'. This was a surprise, because I believe that M&S were using
forks at this time, and I had assumed they would tune the nominals by
beating them against forks. Stockport suggests this was not so.

Intrigued, I looked at Lord Rayleigh's paper of 1890, and Bert
Hughes' report on the old Coventry bells of 1925. In Rayleigh's
paper, he relates that M&S lent him a bell for his tests, together
with a fork 'tuned to the pitch of the bell'. This fork was at the
half nominal, which caused Rayleigh great puzzlement.

In the report on the Coventry bells, Bert Hughes gives the 'tap
tones' measured with 'specially tested forks' and again quotes the
half nominal rather than the nominal as the 'main note' of the bell.

All this provides strong evidence that M&S were tuning strike
pitches, not nominals, at this time, even though they were using
tuning forks.

Does anyone know if this was actually so, and if so, the procedure
they used to do this? They can't have been tuning with beats, as
there is nothing to beat against at the strike pitch.

Bill H