[Bell Historians] Re: 1642

Richard Offen richard at xwwOPe-ciqenl7_WB_w-py651i4-onTY9HVV2L74JdRd8Hm1D3jdPsNT0XDqsS7x2xZfUP2PO7I.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 9 00:31:47 GMT 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Richard Offen" <richard at ...>
wrote:

> --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Sloman" <david@>
> wrote:
> >
> >  A further selection of 1642 bells,
> >
> > Kirdford Sussex 2/6 Bryan Eldridge
> > Graffham Sussex ex tenor Bryan Eldridge
> > Brimpton Berks 1 & 3/4 Ellis Knight
> > Crowell Oxon ex bell Ellis Knight
> > Hurst Berks 7/8 Ellis Knight
> > Ufton Nervet Berks 3/4
> > Wormleighton Warw. 1/3 Henry Bagley
> > Stoney Stanton Leics ex tenor Hugh Watts
> > Old Leake Lincs Thomas Norris
> > Stoak Cheshire 2/3 William Clibury
> > Hartley Wintney Hants tenor by ?
> > Broseley Shropshire date only?
> > Spelbury Oxon date only?
> >
> > Can't find any more
> >
> > DS
> >

> I'm afraid the Broseley bell is an 'ex' one as well as the ring was
> recast in the ninteenth century.

Whoops, sorry, it's the Sanctus bell (I'd forgotten about that one!)
that is dated 1642 and survives from the previous church.

The back six of the present eight were cast in 1844, when the church
was rebuilt and, to quote a certain Victorian bell historian, "are
about as miserable as they make 'em"!