[Bell Historians] Re: Clapper failure information request

Richard Offen richard at ih424LSTlcaaKdStKd8_oBLD_FAca3dS1KOAKxCMyUr5pviy257WpI4byuwF7F2Sdknbm89-.yahoo.invalid
Sat Mar 11 23:50:46 GMT 2006

> Obviously, the above system relies on the bells being hung in an H
frame. If
> they were in a lowside frame some sort of bridge over the pit would
> presumably be necessary. All of the clapper turners which I've seen
have
> been on H frames.
>
> I'm ringing at Leeds tomorrow afternoon, but I think the bells will
be up so
> I won't be able to inspect the clapper turner more closely - it's
very tight
> for space in the bell chamber. Anyway, we have several members of the
Leeds
> band on this list so perhaps they could provide further details?
>
> David

All Saints', Maidstone are hung in an 'A' frame, but incredibly high in
the tower.   The original clapper turner (designed and installed by the
late Tom Cullingworth) consisted of a timber frame, hinged on a roof
beam.   At the lower end was a loop of rope which, when the apparatus
was pulled from the ringing room below, engaged on the flight of the
clapper and flipped it across.   A counter weight then returned the
frame to its original position out of the path of the clapper.

Tom always insisted that someone take the weight of the bell on the
rope to save shock loading on the stay.

It's a very long time since I've been upstairs at All Saints and this
system may well have been superseded.

I must admit I've always been nervous of these clapper turners.
Flipping a clapper over so that is crashes down on the bell is a bit
too much like the dangerous habit of clocking in my book!