[Bell Historians] Re: Who casts the best bells?

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at Gc1zc8shlpoHQVWJDJL--EJCK_YHwCmuIRti2DI-nwtKfNDKzSZaoHbB1UXRjoXHExbEpR36tsqiFHfozxiermhPkEduFD8.yahoo.invalid
Thu May 4 08:28:40 BST 2006

Either? given that he is looking for a small bell, anyone who went to the road show would not dismiss bells produced by new face on the block.

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Richard Offen
Sent: 04 May 2006 00:34
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Who casts the best bells?

*** WARNING ***

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Andrew Aspland" <aaspland at ...> wrote:

> --I know this is a very difficult question with a great many variables
> to consider (particularly application), but who casts the finest bells
> today? Eisebouts? Paccard? Petit & Fritsen? Taylor? Whitechapel? Some
> other firm?
>
> Far too much bias for Richard Offen's taste but I love Taylor bells for
> their tone. Quite a lot depends upon the manner in which the bell is
> struck. Some bells with mathematically excellent harmonics do not produce
> the best tone whereas others which are not quite right on paper are
> fantastic. Why not look at second-hand bells - at least that way you can
> hear the bell first!
>
> ANdrew

I don't consider your comment at all biased Andrew.   You have every justification for your love of the tone of Taylor bells, you have some magnificent examples in your area.

As I've said on many occasions before, as long as you, and others, are willing to acknowledge that other contractors can, and do, produce bells of equally fine quality, then personal preference is perfectly acceptable.

But that doesn't help our friend to find a bell founder for his bell.

Now I will show bias, patriotic bias, and say that without a doubt, for the finest bells in the world, he should use either of our British foundries ...having heard the work of a good number of other founders in my travels around the world, I genuinely mean that!   He will get good service and a top quality product that sounds superb.

Richard

Craft  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Craft+hobby&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ringing&w4=Bell&c=4&s=68&.sig=nI2iixwvg9ffKnYVZQ_77Q> hobby 	Hobby  <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ringing&w4=Bell&c=4&s=68&.sig=4E4JHAewM9rI5uk08A8dIg> and craft supply 	Ringing <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ringing&w1=Craft+hobby&w2=Hobby+and+craft+supply&w3=Ringing&w4=Bell&c=4&s=68&.sig=Ufrpo5PBLSEb5mNc6zFLhw>

  _____

YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

*	 To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:

  _____