[Bell Historians] Late-Victorian bell hangers

David Bryant davidbryant at zbGT--icF9zrUGxxMNmufTbjE21igOdt21-HKkoPG5aOP4B8MwA4z3mA0KBwOnK2KIBhT6Q3s1PqbsThpxsZGg.yahoo.invalid
Tue May 23 21:24:07 BST 2006

> This argument could run and run and I only venture to mention two points.

Indeed, indeed.

> Taylors in the 1870s and 80s were putting in some really skimpy oak frames
with poor, flimsy fittings, including wheels which were ready to start
falling apart within a decade or two.  If anybody doubts me, I can give
plenty of examples.  A Warner, Mears or L & J job of that period would be
more robust.  (Gilletts had only just started.)

Round here, most of the Victorian work is by either Taylor's, Mears or
Mallaby of Masham (who used Warner bells). The latter predominated.

My experience is that the mears stuff will almost certainly have fallen
pretty much to pieces. The Taylor stuff is variable - there is an 11 cwt six
at Hovingham of 1878 with largely original fittings, and although now in
need of replacement fittings the bells are still ringable without too much
difficulty. Equally, I've seen some jobs of a similar date which have
disintegrated.

The Mallabys were, in my opinions, the finest late-Victorian bellhangers
anywhere and the standard of their work is excellent. They were based in the
small Dales town of Masham (now of more note for its two breweries -
Theakstons and Black Sheep), and a later Branch of the family worked at
Barnby Dun in South Yorkshire.

The quality of their work was highlighted to me a couple of years ago when
we visited a 8½cwt three in a church which had been almost derelict for
years, the bells had been buried in pigeon crap, they had not been rung
within living memory, and had had no work done to them since originally
installed. They had recently been dug out of the crap, and after a few
hours' work were made ringable. Another few hours work and we rang a quarter
on them. Considering the neglect which they have seen, they go remarkably
well. They were hung in the 1880s

I was also involved with work on a lighter (about 3 cwt) three near to York.
This was another 1880s job with nothing done since. Again, a couple of
three-hour sessions and they were perfectly ringable and go quite well.

Most bells supplied by Mallaby are standard Warner castings. However, there
are a small number which claim to have been cast by Mallaby of Barnby Don.
These are actually by Warner's.

Most of the Mallaby work is to be found in Yorkshire and neighbouring
counties, but they did occasionally work as far afield as Bath.