[Bell Historians] Gillett & Bland

David Beacham david1.beacham at 3bfHWxP3P4FycClcy2M0mGq48OIfmGk3RNY2GvY1A7jVNsb82y655LKW0QI_R-Hgp576XweM6EE-pSPPbmdgOg.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 22 08:44:47 GMT 2006

Whilst still on this G&J thread, can anyone say, authoritatively, what the correct pronunciation of "Gillett" should be (correct meaning as it was spoken by the firm themselves in their bellfounding days)? Although most people that I know pronounce it with a hard "G", some, usually of an older generation, say it with a soft "G", as if it were "Jillett".

The firm continues, of course, but as clockmakers not bellfounders. I wonder how they pronounce their name these days?

DB