[Bell Historians] Gillett & Bland

David Cawley dave at Ne1-un3Z6RisXnc_kmybaIt6yCifcPUGtIYU4Zf8KoqZTI91I3Vfw96cCmAQC4da2Gp1Hpx5xCjUXeyK_agzc-eP3-o.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 22 11:49:26 GMT 2006

The late Mrs Cyril Johnston, whom I knew, pronounced it Gillett & Johnston with a hard G  (as in Granny). Presumably Cyril also did, and it follows that his father, AAJ, would have done so; and he knew William Gillett.
I think the soft G (as in George Dawson, and as used by him) comes from the days of Gillette's razor blade's, in more comon use in Cyril's day than now.
Some excellent stuff from CJP on that firm's several titles and their use, for which thanks.
DLC
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: David Beacham
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 8:44 AM
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Gillett & Bland

  Whilst still on this G&J thread, can anyone say, authoritatively, what the correct pronunciation of "Gillett" should be (correct meaning as it was spoken by the firm themselves in their bellfounding days)? Although most people that I know pronounce it with a hard "G", some, usually of an older generation, say it with a soft "G", as if it were "Jillett".

  The firm continues, of course, but as clockmakers not bellfounders. I wonder how they pronounce their name these days?

  DB