[Bell Historians] Great Bells of Britain

Andrew Wilby andrew at d8G9Reh4VtFs2-3jsErIv-BdXUipcSU_3K3n_Vcfac-xCSAFRRacaf7lzOL5a05bMJ3djgzpE2cJzA.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 22 14:53:35 GMT 2006

It was originally "The Ringers' Notebook and Diary" which was rebranded
when The Ringing World Ltd acquired it.

However as any marketeer will know, rebranding doessn't change the
product and the RW Board certainly didn't want to.

When the discussion about how the Diary might develop  was taking place
and the suggestions were piling up on the table, someone pointed out
that if we wanted to change everything then we clearly didn't want the
product we had bought and that  we shouldn't have bought it in the first
place!
After that the value of the tried and tested product became appreciated
and the product has been modernised but remains much the same. Bill
Viggars would certainly recognise it.

Referring to it in the present discussion as a notebook as well as a
diary makes the point that it has a function beyond that of a pure diary
and therefore the other content has importance.
Indeed I would put it stronger than that, ringers can use any diary
bought or given from any source if they only want the diary pages.
The factor that drives the buying decisions is therefore the "other"
content. So to reduce the notebook and information type content will not
enhance sales.

Next minor point, The Ringing World Ltd is not owned by The Central
Council.
It is owned by the members of the Council if they don't chose to opt out
of the responsibility. The members are, with the exception of Hons,
Lifers etc, elected representative of the constituent societies. So it
is arguably in the common ownership of all of our affiliated societies.

SEM <I don't quite understand your figures. Do you mean that 99% of
ringers never look at ringing websites? Or 99% of diary buyers do not? I
would
question both these assumptions. And couldn't this information be in
both formats?>

Er Sue, that was just an expression to suggest that the vast majority of
ringers don't spend their time searching for information on the web
particularly if they don't know it exists.
How can we possibly have hard figures for you to understand about the
hypothetical behaviour of a hypothetical group of humans in a
hypothetical situation at some hypothetical time in the future?

As for multiple formats, obviously the info could be published on the
web as well but there could be an issue of copyright which probably
belongs to the RW. They have a responsibility to us all in safeguarding
the finances of the RW and Diary and may want to take a view as to
whether such publication would detract from their Diary.

This is all a bit of a non issue, however I totally applaud DLC's views
about the broader dimensions and interests of ringing and the example he
has set.
I suppose that blathering on about the marketing dimensions of the Diary
is another way of sharing the idea that there is much more to ringing,
its promotion and administration than some appreciate.

Andrew