[Bell Historians] Gillett & Bland

Peter Rivet peter at VeUoTehVstaHeUfQiNHyjc5GlHuV8IFG9iQHrokzIZrAj4fTapqPZ-h4K8QVf8yq7gIHe6b_miIFSFvnFOg.yahoo.invalid
Wed Nov 22 19:08:58 GMT 2006

They were definitely Gillett with a hard G in the Croydon area, where my
father's family used to live - and so far as I know they still are.  My aunt
used to own a second hand Vauxhall Astra which had been used as a company
car by the clockmaking branch of the firm!

Peter Rivet

  -----Original Message-----
  From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of David Cawley
  Sent: 22 November 2006 11:49
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Gillett & Bland

  The late Mrs Cyril Johnston, whom I knew, pronounced it Gillett & Johnston
with a hard G  (as in Granny). Presumably Cyril also did, and it follows
that his father, AAJ, would have done so; and he knew William Gillett.
  I think the soft G (as in George Dawson, and as used by him) comes from
the days of Gillette's razor blade's, in more comon use in Cyril's day than
now.
  Some excellent stuff from CJP on that firm's several titles and their use,
for which thanks.
  DLC