St Andrew's Derby

john john.ketteringham27 at q5Lkur3-8haVFMvFd2L6OLBjuVL50odpnhD5YFc6pleNnYTmi1a_LU0LV8Gn9_oN82uCoMtAeRvza11cV6rIn_lJdZ5t9Qk0FG9F.yahoo.invalid
Wed Oct 25 09:39:31 BST 2006

The last ringing on these fine bells was a peal of Cambridge Royal prior to the last service which took place on Sunday 2 November 1969.   I rang in this peal and stayed overnight with the Bridges family who had moved from St Andrew's to St Osmund's Mr Bridges having been verger at both churches.   As I walked past St Andrew's to the station which is close by demolition of the spire had started and there is a photo of this here :
http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/oldphotos/brc/index.htm

I believe the excuse for demolition of this church was to make way for  a road scheme.  However there is an office block on the site now and photos of the church and the office block can be found here :

http://www.derbyphotos.co.uk/thenandnow/page18.htm

It really is a mystery why these bells were not saved and it demonstrates how important it is to have someone who is really interested in the preservation of bells on Redundant Churches Uses Committees.

No doubt the full history of St Andrew's bells is in Church Bells of Derbyshire.   There was a good ringing library which was sold off and I have a copy of History and Art from there.