[Bell Historians] Re: 'Simpson' tuning

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at dsKjcugenj0g2eHVI3Okl6DSbSb77BGUWJAu31KM_0Zl5Tf0OlkVqwCpN67XFyuF2L4_UPp5sWoXjQGlJq50tPs.yahoo.invalid
Fri Sep 1 15:31:39 BST 2006

>> * Some supposed 'Simpson' bells are not true-harmonic and sound poor
>> as a result. Some supposed old-style bells are close to true-
> harmonic. A mixture of old-style and true-harmonic in one peal shows
>>neither off to best advantage.
>
> You'll have Mr Dalton and Mr Pickford on to you about that
> statement ...but I entirely agree!

Not me...  Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I prefer to judge
each case on its own merits.

On terminology, I agree 'true-harmonic' better than 'Simpson-tuned'.  It was
G & J who, while actually copying Taylors' work, brought the good Prebendary
(not Canon) Simpson's name into it.

Canon [sic] Dalton