[Bell Historians] One N or two?

Bickerton, Roderic K (SELEX) (UK) roderic.bickerton at ZktBu6IMbPdGHsIhTyTdFyFMonjKLpYetLI0lj3NEmev6WlgBHm194PeXTMx8h6xZoHE210vmHTei_wIgA2Idjet5WJ913yVYAs.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 14 15:53:10 BST 2006

"nn" would be more logical, after all it looks exactly like the structure on some cannons.
Our forbears would be  familiar with such weapons, war being a fact of life in times past.
I doubt those associated with bells would be given to fanciful cross references.

>From the Latin origin, It seems to me to make more sense that it OUGHT to be NN .

The confusion here seems to arise from the French. The word CANNON is ultimately from Latin "canna," a reed, but in French it is usually spelt CANON. The word CANON is from Latin canon (from the Greek), meaning "rule." In French, this is also spelt CANON! The OED lists the bell part under CANON, but remarks that in that sense the origin is obscure and it may be derived from CANNON. The earliest English references use CANON (R. Holme, Armoury, 1688), with the earliest use of CANNON in 1872 (Ellacombe).

mew