[Bell Historians] Re: New York

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at AonmY01nwGG244cMXZTjh6q7SFg0GRC_qDp_Xq0xR6u9TixEMbr6t5MhXoZS7YhdvIOCV4f4euQTUuqS_YhqYjSB.yahoo.invalid
Thu Sep 14 22:21:28 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at ...> wrote:

> >Bit thin for a modern 'D' aren't they!
>
> Not especially - South Petherton are in D.
>
> Incidentally, Dickon - what happens if they dont get the peal!
>
> David

This reminds me of when we rang the the late Gordon Halls' 1000th peal
at Derby Cathedral. When we got up the tower the peal board was
already on the table! Pressure or what!?

Fortunately we got it.

I must say having the names of individuals on the bells who merely
rang them to a peal is a bit self glorifying. I can understand it if
they donated them individually but they didnt give a penny. I suppose
if Dill wants to pay for it then it is up to him but it seems rather
over the top to record the names of people who, with the exception of
the tenor, had nothing to do with the place.

It would be a hoot though if the peal was lost or one of the band
dropped out. maybe they just stay there until they ring it. I think we
should be allowed to dictate what they go for to add to the fun.