[Bell Historians] Re: Trinity New york

Richard Offen richard at jqovEBwyFNzkLd_GAmOMThWBeyBTgxSQfVs3Wjxbds2j0zJ1C-_zxqxLZ1yEDxYkfiveBWA.yahoo.invalid
Fri Sep 15 10:23:42 BST 2006

> They get lighter than that! Newport is a D, and the 19 cwt 7th at
Ilminster
> is presumably borderline D/Eb (the remarkable Bilbie tenor is 22 cwt
and
> borderline C/C#).
>
> David

I realise there are a good number of historical examples of thin bells
from earlier periods.   I just wondered why someone would chose
the 'thin end of the wedge' when selecting a new ring, but in the case
of New York there was a very good reason it seems!