[Bell Historians] Re: Trinity New york

Anne Willis zen16073 at Frw4Dp7-qwpuGayBc1jMap_c0FZUn2pBmeKWNImKBbqR1NXK0zjwsGWFjoUQ-aaiyCeJBr6Dfek.yahoo.invalid
Fri Sep 15 11:01:04 BST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of David Bryant
Sent: 15 September 2006 10:09
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Bell Historians] Re: Trinity New york

>Given that there is a very wide variance in the size rings in D by this
>founder, Lichfield at almost 32 cwt and South Petherton at the other
>end of the scale (although South Petherton tenor is almost half a
>semitone sharp of D - why?), I was intrigued to know why the thinner
>end of the scale had been chosen ...now we know.

They get lighter than that! Newport is a D, and the 19 cwt 7th at Ilminster
is presumably borderline D/Eb (the remarkable Bilbie tenor is 22 cwt and
borderline C/C#).

David

XYZ, otherwise known as John Llewellyn, in his book on 'Bells and
Bellfounding' suggests a note of E or not flatter than D for a 25cwt ring of
eight.

Anne