[Bell Historians] Call for papers on ... bell-casting?

Richard Offen richard at Mv5DVwHIe7S9qCJ6HOct7MvSgqUFAk_kI83UUxnbqsrQIrHPrz7e0wH-bygwfSXUC2JO8wZ9S-YI3g.yahoo.invalid
Fri Sep 22 07:43:22 BST 2006

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at ...> wrote:

> > I have a notion that the ring of 8 at Kingsbury in London was
cast by a
> > founder whose main business was organ building ...
>
> Ah, hadn't thought of him - the bells are by Lewis of Brixton, I
presume?

> David

T.C. Lewis was a very fine organ builder with organs such as the ones
in Southwark and Ripon Cathedrals to his credit.

His bells are quite interesting in tone (the rings at Kingbury and
Shipbourne spring to mind and the light chime at Keston) - he would
never countenance any form of tuning as he maintained breaking the
skin of a bell somehow marred its tone.

The firm was taken over in 1919 by the well known organ building firm
of Henry Willis & Sons.