Alfred bowells, ipswitch

Philip Denton philip_denton at fdBYC38_3zfMqdaATO-GlqxFxkzz0F6RuAh52EIIjK0iKYKi6BA2L7SmY5E5d4PlywUyWNvOtjODke7y_-eQOAs2aA.yahoo.invalid
Tue Sep 26 16:06:27 BST 2006

I'm no expert on frames and fittings, but I understand that Alfred Bowell's framework and bell hanging are generally considered to be of a high quality.

  I have come across some decent sounding Bowell bells, and some fairly reasonable complete rings (which may have been subsequently retuned); but I have also rung on several untouched rings of his from the 1920s and 1930s which sound pretty rough, especially considering what other foundries were producing at the time!

  I gather that the ring of 6 at Ranworth, Norfolk, cast in 1937 or 1938, were his last complete ring.

  PD.