Carillonneur vs. carillonist

Andrew Wilby andrew at _pZGoLd2nUwi07IttlGDOtTaZ3R_YnUYLvc1wRucKP1dgFXuqAiqs37qdADnqwbgii8A1FxnZMI.yahoo.invalid
Wed Sep 27 14:14:56 BST 2006

Carl.... this is not April 1st....

what is so English about the front half of the word that it deserves an
"English" ending?

And how can you suggest that French words are not part of English?

Anglo-Saxon and Norse became combined into Old English into which a huge
amount of Norman French was injected after 1066.
This is why the language is so rich and flexible.

Very broadly, we use the French derived words for matters cultural, legal
and inside the house and the Anglo-Saxon alternative for things rural,
basic, agricultural etc. The Anglo- Saxons were very rural and basic!

For example:

Table inside, bench outside
Bull outside, beef in the kitchen.
Pig, pork.
Sheep in the field, mutton or lamb on the table.

... and so on...

If you want to call yourself anything at all go ahead but it might be better
to classify the result as American rather than English to avoid stiring our
sensibilities. In the meanwhile over this side of the pond we can come up
with some Anglo-Saxon names for you if you wish!

Andrew, Andre