[Bell Historians] Re: Restoring Peal Boards

Dickon Love dickon at IiaJMSxodKGEjVpkV9EV8kRpzyI97HHu7L0UsigF-PPyto79cgALWnQnR6vbpmJmB2XRqmPBhxj1UQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Apr 2 07:57:38 BST 2007

> What experiences do people have about restoring boards? We have
received a
> quote from a local signwriter to strip the board's surface and
recreate the
> lettering...

Don't do that! You want a careful conservator to remove the varnish - it
is the varish that will have gone black. Once that is removed, the paint
underneath should glow through nicely. If it is gold leaf, it will look
good as new. Get the expert to do this. It will take a long long time
using the right concentration of solvent and cotton wool buds, etc.
Worthwhile though.

DrL