[Bell Historians] Gloucester

David Cawley dave at EbVkkUQTYMw_Sox2fNiaUdMLlMjTugKXjMT4sd-SysCiv3Of_WvVDzcnbW_ysp7c7H4JzH7S6RRAh8gnSTc5cHqJ9A.yahoo.invalid
Sun Apr 15 21:32:25 BST 2007

If the original was

MISSI DE CELIS HABEO NOMEN NOMEN GABRIELIS

Then the translation would be

I HAVE THE NAME OF GABRIEL SENT FROM HEAVEN

Which is also correct 'ecclesiastical' Latin, even if not pure classical. My guess is that the composer of the rhyming hexameter put the 'is' [which is 2nd declension ablative plural in any gender]  to ryme with the genitive Gabrielis, which is a 3rd declension name. The classic form [allowing for the fact that they had no Gabiels around at the time] would be

DE CELO MISSUS NOMEN GABRIEL HABEO

Much less fun!

LUDO*

*An Easter egg prize awaits the one who can swork that out. No list member won last year's!

  > Cathedral press officer, the Reverend Geoff Crago, said: "It is a very
  > long time since I did Latin at school.

  > "I can manage Nomen Gabrielis - the name of Gabriel - but I'm not sure
  > about Celis. Even an online Latin dictionary on the web couldn't help
  > me with that word."

  Visit Your Group
    a.. Ringing
    b.. Bell