Alnwick

khsbelring at gax7ahoGjdoFalILi1WRfkBMxavx10JtXEZ7xGCKRH59UPFtyO9ICo573qGIERDClCy8VcFs8pPGylXb.yahoo.invalid khsbelring at gax7ahoGjdoFalILi1WRfkBMxavx10JtXEZ7xGCKRH59UPFtyO9ICo573qGIERDClCy8VcFs8pPGylXb.yahoo.invalid
Tue Apr 24 21:46:56 BST 2007

Alnwick only had a very short ringing history and the year 1901 was the  last
record I have of any ringing on the eight. Maybe a ringing meeting and the
peal that year were so bad it shut the tower !!!   1,4 & 8  are by Charles &
George Mears in 1846 and then J. Taylor added the other 5  in 1874. The tenor is
18-2-23 and they are hung in a large Taylor Grimthope  frame.

When I arrived in the North East in 1972 the story was that the tower was
unsafe due to the fact that there was a stream running under the tower on sandy
soil thus washing away the foundations. It has however never been established
if  there is any foundation to this story.

It is correct that the idea of selling the bells was mooted. I understand
that it is likely that someone found out how much an 18cwt ring of 8 would cost
to install and imagined that the scrap value would bring in scores of
thousands  of pounds. The idea was dropped prior to my last discussion with a church
member.

The bells currently have no wheels.

Howard E. J. Smith  -  Newcastle Diocese bell  advisor.