Thomas Blackbourn Bell in New Zealand

philholtsdgr pippolucas23 at QfHsaKjDaNVE1WFy-gf0hIX5PK8wVAYbs81BqmcyNvCnxcJOgHwe3PHOuAkDPF7bMTdvcoZEtapbFU06.yahoo.invalid
Sat Aug 11 08:49:09 BST 2007

I was intrigued to see a Thomas Blackbourn bell appearing in CB Dorset
as being supplied to Invercargill, New Zealand, so I searched for any
further details on the Web. I discovered that this bell was in fact sent
to Stewart Island and installed in St Andrew's Anglican Church at Oban
(a.k.a. Half Moon Bay) there. As Stewart Island was supplied with
priests from Invercargill it seems logical that the bell should have
come by the same route.     The bell bears the inscription 'In memoriam
TEONE KOPI PATUKE' and was supplied in 1901. (Teone Kopi Patuke was a
Maori from the Ngati Tahu iwi).

This detail came from a family history web-site and the Stewart Island
Tourist web-site.

Phil Lucas