Oldest Fittings

Philip Denton philip_denton at -4h7xUBqMVHFAgDneMvB40VNv2ulJfBPI57d5c5ZJvExc5Ga-dY2vXLeB0yDBVZ0NbPwPtarHLKFMj85ph6CAVTNgNs.yahoo.invalid
Sun Aug 12 23:19:26 BST 2007

Does anyone know which ringable rings have the oldest fittings? When I rang at East Carlton, Northamptonshire (3/06), I was told that the bells (Joseph Eayre, 1755, 9 cwt ring of 6) were re-hung in the new church tower in 1788. The Peterborough Diocesan Inventory gives the frame and fittings as probably by Edward Arnold, 1789. They were very heavy-going to ring! Are there many cases of older fittings in use?

  PD