[Bell Historians] Re: Harrington, Latham & Co

Anne Willis zen16073 at rZABEM6-9qq2kXEPvf68GBaB7m55xJULpOSOt_zrWbHBo-Dns5wUqMw8OG6K8QUN__4oWlHEynxVOme5.yahoo.invalid
Fri Aug 17 17:02:46 BST 2007

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of Richard Offen
Sent: 17 August 2007 16:43
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Harrington, Latham & Co

> I have had an enquiry from an Australian enthusiast about the firm.
If
> you want to hear what the tubes sound like, try this!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag9rq7Nwy0I
>
> Mike

Not Laith is it? :-)

I don't need to go to Youtube to hear these apologies for bells, just
into the foyer at Swan Bells! They sound like an accident in a
scaffolding factory!

At Garesdon, Wiltshire, a Cor five of 1704 was 'melted and sold for scrap
and a set of Harrington’s tubular bells installed'.  No date given though
Walters, writing in the 1920's claimed it was 'about fifty years ago', which
seems a bit early for such installations.

I found the following in that fascinating journal 'The Builder'.  As far as
I know there was no reply to the query.

Saturday October 26th 1844
The Irish Ecclesiastical Journal informs the clergy that they can substitute
cast-steel bars for ordinary church bells with considerable advantage as
regards both tone and cheapness.  Any clergyman can procure for 30/- a bar
of cast steel producing a better tone than the ordinary small church bells
which cost from £4 to £6.  Limerick Chronicle
[the charge is similar to that in motion repeating watches.]

November 16th 1844
	Sir	Having seen in no 90 of THE BUILDER an article quoted from
the Limerick Chronicle stating that cast-steel bars may be obtained which
will produce a sound similar to that of small church bells at about one
fourth of the expense, I should feel obliged if you or any of your numerous
correspondents can inform me, through the medium of your valuable journal,
first in what shape they are made; secondly how they are to be affixed or
suspended; how and with what they are to be struck to produce the sound.
			Campanologie, Titchmarsh

AW