[Bell Historians] Birmingham RC Cath

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at -D3YcYTcw8pf-nQrZdr_Sbrwxx0T5G5GIhMsM4MlgvzVBPNhMPiVhYznEsBdPa-l0uvv7j-ooQ0cQYlm8Q.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 1 18:33:40 GMT 2007

David Cawley seems to have drawn inferences which I did not intend to
imply in my reply to David Hird's question.  I was attempting to
demonstrate concisely how the appellation of "basilica" (which DC had
clearly explained) is usually attached to the titles of RC cathedrals
and churches in my experience.  I intended to imply that the question
of what a basilica is has nothing to do with the question of
cathedral versus church.  (Perhaps that implication was
unsuccessful.)  But nothing that I wrote had anything to do with why
a particular place is or is not a cathedral, and I am at a loss to
understand why DC thinks that I ignore his lucid expositions on this
or other topics.

As to the question of "major" vs "minor" vs "patriarchal", I relied
on the reasonably authoritative-looking source which Google found for
me at www.gcatholic.com/churches/bas.htm - see their definitions of
terminology at the bottom of that page.  If instead I had found
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica, I would have found that the hierarchy
of basilican designations is far more complex than I could have
imagined, or than DC has indicated.  Curiously, that Wikipedia page
references the same Giga-Catholic page using the title "List of All
Major, Patriarchal and Minor Basilicas."  Regardless of the
classification system used, that seems to be a good reference for the
titles of basilicas throughout the world, whether they be cathedral,
church or otherwise.  Finally, the Wikipedia article also references
an article in the Catholic Encylopedia, wherein "major" is apparently
equated to "patriarchal", and extends beyond the four great churches
of Rome.

I make no defense of the strange things that some non-Catholic
Americans do with the word "cathedral".  Additional examples that
could be cited include the Crystal Cathedral in California
(non-denominational, but initially organized as a Reformed church)
with its Eijsbouts major-third carillon, and the New Refuge
Deliverance Cathedral in Baltimore (non-denominational, in a building
which was formerly an Episcopal church) with its concert-pitch
13-bell McShane chime.

Carl