[Bell Historians] Auld Scottish tune

Peter Rivet peter at iYiwBZqKAjzP19RrahfBqrF5TxVywxVBur2FOL7Sg-qERrn7iBPwLpAMnASNx70NLFgEdmGNYIlI6JPz.yahoo.invalid
Fri Feb 9 19:46:50 GMT 2007

The first carillon in Britain was the one cast be Robert Meikle for St Giles
in Edinburgh.  The 23 bells concerned were installed in 1698 so it is
possible that they could have been chimed in this way.  There would have
been a few other places with chimes of six or more bells at that time, like
King's College in Aberdeen and St John's Perth.  But most churches in
Scotland have never had bells suitable for tune playing and I think the
story is pure invention!

Peter Rivet

  -----Original Message-----
  From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
[mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Robert Lewis
  Sent: 09 February 2007 16:56
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Auld Scottish tune

  From the BBC Scotland web-site
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/history/onthisday/onthisday.shtml?month=05&da
y=01):

  "On this day in 1707, the Act of Union between Scotland and England came
into force. Scottish church bells played the tune "Why am I so Sad on my
Wedding Day?" - the Union was brought about in spite of opposition by the
majority of Scots. The image is of James Ogilvy, 1st Earl Seafield, on
occasions M.P. for Banffshire and Lord Chancellor of Scotland. He promoted
The Act of Union of 1707, but moved the repeal of the Act in 1713. Bribery
was prevalent, with £20,000 sterling being despatched to Scotland for the
payment of spies and agent provocateurs."

  Does anyone know anything about this "legendary tune" please (the BBC are
asking me!)

  I know Scotland's first ring of bells only dates from 1789 - is it
possible that there was much tune-chiming going on in 1707? Or a
tune-playing clock-chime perhaps?

  Sounds like a load of old baloney (or haggis) to me.

  RAL