[Bell Historians] Charlton Adam, Somerset

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at cqlfY98T0gv1-Es0HC4fPdCyCXGp7XvOyEGt04au9yyfOoJzsyv_YBl_vtboiHjETJChSv8bb3FGhVvxdKw.yahoo.invalid
Sun Feb 11 13:32:59 GMT 2007

As a past bells adviser involved in restorations before and at the
start of the current 'conservation' regime, I think Chris Pickford's
comments strike a fair balance in what is required but it often ends
up as a sort of battle with the strongest side winning. Mostly it
seems the conversationists get their way and produce something that
may be a museum piece but is largely of little use for practical
ringing.

As long as the conservation results in a ring of bells that can be
rung by a fair band without undue effort and the resulting sound
doesn't offend the ears, then it is worthwhile. If it does not, then
it is an appalling waste of resources and in this day and age I
cannot believe a practical solution can't be worked out especially
if practical ringers are actually listened to by the self styled
experts.

A good example of what can be done is Berwick which is a project I
managed. The original installation was useless in terms of fittings
and frame and some bells were actually broken and the others were
not well toned. We decided that the bells could be turned into a
good 'old style' ring of fair tone with retuning but the frame had
to go despite a last minute attempt by EH to get in the way of this.
Thankfully by the time they arrived on the scene, a chain saw had
seen to the frame and it was little more than firewood.

In the end they became an easy going, old style sounding ring
retaining the challenge of a 21cwt 6 and yet perfectly handleable
and strikeable by the new band that had to take them over and use
them weekly. If the preservationists had had their way, this would
not have been the case and they would have ended up a hard going
poor toned ring that, other than for a novelty grab or peal, would
not have been put back into regular use.

Now if you want an exmple up here of where it did go horribly wrong,
then visit Sedgefield where an opportunity to preserve 4 old bells
within a good revamped ring of 8 in a new frame was ruined by EH and
the result is a bit of a mess with a poor toned ring in a weak frame
that is gradually getting worse again despite a whole host of people
pointing this out. Maybe this could have been prevented if the
locals had put up more of a fight as I suggested. In the event, when
they need to be rehung again, I think the bill should be sent
straight to EH as it is essentally their liability.