Charlton Adam, Somerset

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at OBzTFlzz9emgusvvUy3x-vjtAecpygPvixDdMWfo_dMh9jMNGoi18od7CZXjPWCw2eI3y0uWs8EwO44LWFu-IhfS.yahoo.invalid
Tue Feb 13 15:37:19 GMT 2007

That report needs taking with a pinch of salt, I reckon.

Of the five bells, three are brassy Bilbies, one (the tenor) a moaning Mears
(Thomas II) and one - the third - a wobbly early 16th-century Bristol bell.
What really is important from an archaeological/historical/aesthetic point
of view is the frame.  It is a marvellous, unspoilt thing dating from around
1600 and clearly ought to be kept in any restoration scheme.  I had
understood that the favoured proposal was to keep it, partly in use but with
a new tier for some of the bells.  This sounded sensible.  One problem is
that everything swings north-to-south.  Another is shortage of space
vertically in the tower.  Still, the bells didn't go too badly when we were
invited to ring at the church fete in 1970.  It will be interesting to see
what happens.  There is a very similar frame at Tintinhull, this time in use
and correspondingly much restored/renewed.

C D