Charlton Adam, Somerset

Nick Bowden nickwbowden at 98wL9dNlQabg4rXjrwBkESxMJPpl2xZ9OLCTsm2l5z9J9xNE9f9ChQO0Q2XfgxLh8C2sUA-LbsgEG84yDg.yahoo.invalid
Wed Feb 14 13:28:11 GMT 2007

matthewhigby at 8MXteEdFKvvIDJxfBEE7_n_KR6OkJ1LpttNi-OfqzIMAJxjUQCaZTuZ_xlRRYUXc8biEnDGNVYDCHw.yahoo.invalid writes:
> The whole scheme at Charlton Adam has been handled by a firm of  conservation
> architects, who want to keep as much as possible (as is their way).  Sadly
> none of these are ringers, and refuse to be advised by ringers. I was told  that
> the proposal was to keep as much of the original installation as possible,
> including the timber headstocks, wheels, plain bearings etc.
>
> Charlton Adam bells could easily be rehung with modern fittings, within the
> CCC code of practice, for much less money than they want for the
> "conservation"  restoration.

Am I missing something here? Surely, if most of the original fittings are
being retained that SHOULD be cheaper than replacing them with new fittings.
This would then amount to a mere patch up job.

However, I suspect the reality is far from this.
Nick