[Bell Historians] Charlton Adam, Somerset

Richard Offen richard.offen at g-n-b-Ak8XskF18go-G9wHoNzkVWLE3iy-r3HjOsGzX1-C4SthGofOyPKgy2DDaDYk8k9kwQdxVHotk8wopxWjvuPiU.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 15 13:37:58 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bickerton, Roderic K \(SELEX\)
\(UK\)" <roderic.bickerton at ...> wrote:

> If I remember the Sedgfield story was even worse. Wasn't a lot spent
on
> repairing the old tanner which was obviously such a bad casting that
it
> could never been be half decent, and it had to be replaced and is now
in
> the tower as a chiming bell.
> Repairing it at all was a bit destructive of history as it largely
> covered up the original casting problems, which were interesting and a
> good exhibit.

It was cracked and was welded by Soundweld in the early 1970s - hardly
likely to have been a hugely expensive job.   If I remember correctly,
it was a fifteenth century bell by a London founder, which was,
uncharacteristically for that particular founder, very poorly toned.
I seem to remember that we decided it had probably sounded as bad
before it cracked as after welding.

I don't think you could say that the welding process was particularly
destructive.

Perhaps other things have happened to the bell since then.