[Bell Historians] Charlton Adam

Alan Birney alanjbirney at tkqfrypJUJKH024tGJ7NgJSzfj9P29z3Ek1iKwG-tgQXyMHd665jO8Ud11RYmt4wBcDn_ur_pdyUHyS8vP9mhCS7dTA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Feb 15 18:23:39 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant"
<davidbryant at ...> wrote:

> I can think of a three in North Yorkshire where the situation is
similar.
> They were 'restored' for swing chiming (without a faculty) within
the last
> decade or so, but the frame foundation beams are so rotten that in
places
> they are largely non-existent and this has not been addressed. The
> churchwarden who let us in to have a look was obviously proud of
the fact
> that they'd had work done on their bells and we didn't really feel
we could
> say anything - how do you tactfully tell a church that they've
wasted the
> money? I did tell the diocesan bells adviser, who said that unless
he
> received a complaint from the parish there was nothing he could
do, despite
> the lack of a faculty. I left it at that - not much else I could
do.

> David

           And I can think of several cases in addition to the one
you've mentioned we have been to where "The Son of a Preacher man"
is proud of the (bad) work and had even mentioned
these "restorations" (and I use the word loosly) in the Comic!

Alan