An Unusual Method of Tuning

Richard Offen richard.offen at MB23Vsq0mTas3cInORqEsEODewSeUPCNBlxSP5vQnu9eANLxY3PnXerQuS9VmiXSRlgfoIkK8pfcHeOxCcF18S2RLkOj.yahoo.invalid
Sat Feb 24 08:36:20 GMT 2007

Over the past couple of years I have often stood at the bus stop
opposite Perth (WA) Town Hall and winced as the clock sounded the
quarters on a pair of miserable sounding little bells.   I had always
assumed that these two bells sounded so horrible because they were
cast by Robert Stainbank in 1868 – not exactly Whitechapel's greatest
period, especially for small bells (the hour bell isn't too bad)!

Last Wednesday, Chris Pickford and I were given the opportunity to
inspect the Town Hall clock and bells and I discovered that I
couldn't actually blame Robert Stainbank for the strange tone of the
two quarter bells.

We were surprised to discover that there are large lumps out of the
soundbows of both the quarter bells, apparently removed (the edge on
the second bell having been filed smooth) in an attempt to tune them
rather than caused by accidental damage.   No wonder the bells have
an incredibly `wobbly' tone when struck!

I have put a photograph of the second quarter bell on the photos
section of this list to illustrate this odd method of tuning.

Has anyone come across this unconventional way of tuning anywhere
before?

Richard