[Bell Historians] The Regal, Marble Arch ...again!

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at GnaQ5Y-0QO9T5Mzk8Ez9U31nHVWAKUVuyb52Thijyj6IfsayxnSPjjT-AtamNPvkylPMp1gDMRzg_xmWPp081xywMQ.yahoo.invalid
Mon Feb 26 16:18:08 GMT 2007

According to the Tuning Books of G&J, the Regal Cinema at Marble Arch had 32 bells (I might be wrong here) dated 1927/28. All the bells were returned to the factory and used as Stock Bells. Some went to Japan and others elsewhere. This is not to be confused with the 1930 M.A. carillon of 32 which were shipped to Belgium in the mid 1960's. Where I got this info from, I'm not too sure but I do have the info of the bells .
AAJB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Richard Offen
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, February 26, 2007 7:58 AM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] The Regal, Marble Arch ...again!

  Whilst browsing for some information on the web site of Mander Organs
  just now, I found the following posting on their message board:

  "I think that it was in about 1966 that the Regal Marble Arch was
  demolished, and just prior to its demise the 36 rank Hill Norman &
  Beard "Christie" organ designed by Quentin Maclean was removed into
  storage. It has remained in that state in a trailer (I gather located
  in a barn) in Cornwall ever since. I am sure that this situation has
  just about driven a generation of theatre organ fans crazy !
  Apparently its owner who never succeeded in doing anything with his
  container of bits was (probably for quite reasonable reasons) not
  keen to encourage all manner of theatre organ anoraks to his home,
  but now he has died and the Marble Arch organ has re-surfaced (as it
  were).

  Whilst it is restorable, its condition is far from good, and the
  photographs of it reveal that there is a considerable amount of
  restoration work required that would keep many organ builders busy
  for many months. There are a number of photographs of it in its
  present state - it will most certainly need its keyboards re-building!

  The organ apparently wasn't a great success in the cinema in spite of
  its great size, but it has recorded well - particularly by Sidney
  Torch.

  So far as the future is concerned, of course the issue with it its
  size. With organ preservation societies up and down the land
  struggling to find venues in which to re-install various Wurlitzers
  (and two homeless four manual instruments spring readily to mind), a
  1920s orchestral pipe organ I guess will stand little chance short of
  a miracle and someone with a huge bank balance.

  (It included a 44 bell carillon in its spec which created such a
  noise that an injunction was issued forbidding or at least severely
  restricting its use!)

  The present state of the Marble Arch Christie can be seen via the
  yahoo group UKTheatreOrgans which is moderated by Peter Hammond. For
  those interested in such things I have definitely found this to be
  far and away the best theatre organ group on the net.

  Quentin Bellamy - who along with many theatre organ nuts is hopeful
  of a miracle!"

  So it looks as if the carillon has been sitting in Cornwall all these
  years (sorry for doubting you Dickon!) and we may yet hear its tones
  again.

  Richard