[Bell Historians] Tuning figures

Andrew Bull a_m_bull at ZLDSnnYJIZu2jULAjcdNxDbCE1_GDbugXfV6wZ1aiCnCVNhpYuB5UpFHs32o34cTfxu5Hg0nBxrYeQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jan 17 20:38:09 GMT 2007

Nasty! The tenor seems to be the only bell with anything like reasonable
partials. As for the fifth – fundamental 147 cents sharp, hum 151 cents flat
of the true-harmonic values, with Matthew’s revised figure for the hum. Must
be a truly extraordinary bell – no wonder Mr Dalton is perplexed. Some of
the rest of the bells have what must be unpleasantly flat fundamentals –
that of the third is 220 cents sharp of the octave with the nominal. The
nominal of the fifth is also somewhat out – 76 cents sharp if one takes the
tenor as datum, though looking at the figures it looks like the tenor is
around 17- 20 cents flat for the rest of the ring. The quint of the fourth
comes out as 510 cents flat!

Andrew Bull

  _____

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of matthewhigby at BeBhYGYC9rnWqekL0RWxAC98OV-NaVpO8yxuWfIQoUzifRtQuqJnfrUCpmy-_dKMlpCntXUx_20NDIE.yahoo.invalid
Sent: 17 January 2007 19:49
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Bell Historians] Tuning figures

dalton.family at RMmRLpRNXR1q-XDvY8aFt3-YVsARh-TIKBGQvwKLiGItA2B_sIdgt8BTeVYN5qKRhTrwuIse1TzmyeRgc1K_ZA.yahoo.invalid writes:

Anybody else taken the pitches at Aldbourne? I find I am in trouble with
figures for the Warner 1915 5th which, in fairness, does have some very
strange partial tones indeed.

1  333  576  746  ?  1257

2  307  538  695  ?  1182

3  275  465  625  778 1056