[Bell Historians] Re: bells in Canterbury during Chaucer's time?

Anne Willis zen16073 at K9h1u3I62W3qiOQ2E7k31-O1siJJiV6VD9YsZ1Wr5fSR1SOVTfDfQKJjSHg3d0iSoihoEmBZtMBN.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jan 22 11:40:56 GMT 2007

From: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com [mailto:bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com]
On Behalf Of robert_de7
Sent: 21 January 2007 08:18
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: bells in Canterbury during Chaucer's time?

from what i have seen clocks in medieval times where not clocks as we
know them today. they did not have hands and faces just a means of
ringing the bell or bells.
if you go to Salisbury cathedral website there is a good picture of a
clock mechanism.
Robert

What's more the clock, on display in the north aisle, works and keeps
remarkably accurate time.

We still do not have a clock face on our tower, despite the fact that we
have had a clock since at least 1611 (when lightening struck the tower and
'straight shattered the clock frame' among other damage).

Anne