List delivery problems

Carl S Zimmerman csz_stl at QX2WEJ9QYMNPdIvV9OPJMG7iqTtL159a-vf_KVBIWO8P2Xaw9klRCdteojU70y_ZF4HkpZlI5-RI.yahoo.invalid
Mon Jan 22 18:37:39 GMT 2007

Overnight I've had a problem with sending messages to and receiving
messages from this mail-list.  Although the problem is now resolved
(and did not require moderator assistance to do so), I'm writing to
offer advice to others who might encounter problems, or suspect the
existence of a problem.

Most importantly, this mail-list is also a Yahoo Group.  Although you
can subscribe and unsubscribe by email, without having a Yahoo ID,
managing your subscription and solving problems can be easier if you
do have such an ID.  It's free (and harmless!), so if you don't have
one, I urge you to visit http://groups.yahoo.com/ and use the "New
User? Sign Up" link in the upper left corner of the page.

One of the things that you can do with an ID is to read the list
messages (and message archive) on the Web.  (It's not accessible to
non-members, i.e., the general public.)  This is helpful if you think
you're not receiving messages because of an email (or list) problem.
If the latest message posted on the Group is one that you did receive
by email, then there is no problem.  (Though perhaps everyone else is
too sleepy or busy to contribute!)

In my case, that check did reveal a problem - very weird!  The Group
server had sent a message to me that bounced back because of an error
somewhere in the network, so it disabled my subscription.  Once I
discovered that, I could use the "Edit Membership" settings page to
"de-bounce" my ID and thereby restore message delivery.  Actually, I
only missed about three messages, and could read them all through the
Web interface.

Carl