watches

Laura Dickerson lauradi at MR-nw3Sn7zVnaiiqE3sUjB-kiYea8MpYFcvD_TYFj6h3wYTwetiv_-K35t-rHvoajSIV41fPDareOYo.yahoo.invalid
Sun Jan 28 14:46:41 GMT 2007

 From about.com.  I will do some more looking eventually - I'm going to
be late for service ringing!  Clearly not Chaucer's time, but early
"watches."
"Another advance was the invention of spring-powered clocks between 1500
and 1510 by Peter Henlein, a German locksmith from Nuremberg. Replacing
the heavy drive weights permitted smaller (and portable) clocks and
watches. Henlein nicknamed his clocks "Nuremberg Eggs". Although they
slowed down as the mainspring unwound, they were popular among wealthy
individuals due to their size and the fact that they could be put on a
shelf or table instead of hanging from the wall. They were the first
portable timepieces. However, they only had an hour hand, minute hands
did not appear until 1670, and there was no glass protection. Glass over
the face of the watch did not come about until the 17th century. Still,
Henlein's advances in design were precursors to truly accurate
timekeeping. "

Laura Dickerson