[Bell Historians] Re: Territorial Societies.

Alan Buswell aaj.buswell at x8JeuQwg25rynibXd2BqlGz_0x4diysyYtee1Wg1JrdcKGhD7KJkxch8k0av3UK2Cemy_IyWHqpOLCBzYPG0dw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jul 18 08:58:52 BST 2007

Donacster & District is therefore a secular society!!
AAJB
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Mike Chester
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 10:38 AM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Re: Territorial Societies.

  --- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "alanaj8283" <aaj.buswell at ...>
  wrote:

  > I wonder if I might write on a subject I know nothing about? It is
  > the nameing of our territorial societies. Why are some societies
  > called 'associations', 'districts', 'guilds' and 'societies?

  As a generalisation, groupings based on Diocesan lines tend to be
  called Guilds and those on counties Associations. Districts tend to be
  based around a major town and cover only part of a county, some being
  called a "Society". Societies tend to be, but are not exclusively,
  (e.g. Doncaster and District Society) neither based on either church or
  county boundaries.

  Mike