[Bell Historians] Re: Lyng

David Bryant davidbryant at iUmGsEfq1iZIyjCnt594xkSNARn1i3mF9ugpHTBSISyXNUhBDhhqYpTqAJQVZPm1YziZSPckSPe5rzmLUEPg.yahoo.invalid
Sat Jul 21 09:21:49 BST 2007

"I would have thought cracked is a more likely reason, but, as Mr Dalton says, speculation is unhelpful and irritating."

Well, that's a bit rich coming from the person who periodically goes through phases of giving a running commentary on nearly every email which appears on this list :-)

Perhaps I should have made it clear that I also have copies of some letters between the church and the foundry. They recommended recasting the treble of five because doing so would give a better end result, but said it would be possible to retain it if required - no specific reason is given, but at no point is it stated that it's cracked, and I think it would if this was the case.

Given that its note is given on the bell details chart as B, and the keynote of the ring is F, I think it is a reasonable assumption that the foundry were reluctant to use it because it was flat.

Hope this is now clear.