Fw: Layston

davidhird_uk davidhird_uk at txgbj5ShR9bavqPNKNaJMS55YZ6tc6GGzvwuotAkAvPk5TuWL7f-vPl2TMx5pKwe9jzr617GzIXl-VbljkLq0QNlkw.yahoo.invalid
Wed Jun 6 09:12:28 BST 2007

Hmmm... might be unringable then by all the versions of the
definition.

David

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dave at ...>
wrote:

> I realise that apart from the word "derelict" I said nothing about
the state the bells are in.

> Ringing fittings were all present, headstocks very badly infested
with worm, 2nd headstock split. Stays, sliders etc very wormy.
Wheels probably early 19thC, beginning to come apart. Strap
gudgeons, stock hoops, very worn drive-in type bearings. Clappers
probably as old as the bells. The five probably had a fair bit of
ringing back in the 18th / 19th centuries. Two hammers remain of a
19th century chiming apparatus. No ropes anywhere. They were a
ground floor ring.

> Frame ancient. Bells hung in order 5, 1, 4, 3 swinging north/south
and the 2nd at right angles at the south end. An anti-clockwise rope
circle, ropes actually in approximately correct order. Three types
of truss. The east side of the 3rd (now treble) pit and the south
side of the pit which held the lost second are Pickford type 5C
sides, but with jack-braces; the inner sides of these two pits are
Pickford type 6H, again jack braced to the corner posts. Tenor pit
both sides and pit between former treble and 4th (now 2nd) Pickford
type 5R. There were 4 bells in 1552 and the older components of the
frame are probably of c1500. I reckon that the frame was rebuilt and
a 5th pit added when the bells were augmented to 5 in 1633 - the two
lost bells were also by James Butler. Wedged to walls on all four
sides. The outer side of the tenor pit is in a really bad way and
has been stiffened by nailing boards horizontally across its members
for the whole length of the pit. There are a lot of beams beneath,
many of them propped up by posts, but the joints at the base of the
frame are badly decayed. So is the bell chamber floor.

> Hope this is of interest.
>
> DLC

Layston