[Bell Historians] Compton Dundon (Somerset)

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at fEAXuU44yg24Tj7iWLJTPm7PFLV9Ar-V94YlZpd8VaPZjvH9vhdQ29WEchpV2aZ4XCSHcWyqU-Mbu_iCgnk.yahoo.invalid
Thu Jun 28 13:07:16 BST 2007

>From: David Bryant <davidbryant at kcSswkgOu5roetxoTPGVrtC9c31IA2Q91l-kHhBJLqKfRORXDpVDCnW5PHUl64OYaM31xWoG5xTq9v1Cn0FwIwAYWCU.yahoo.invalid>
>
> Disclaimer: This is from memory so I can't guarantee it's correct!
>
> The bells are described in the Walters manuscript, and he mentions
> something along the lines of them being derelict with large crude wheels.
> They were subsequently rehung dead - not sure who by.

The last time I went up the tower was June 1981 but I did look at the bells
in some detail as I was (and am) interested in the Austens and the Bilbies.

Hanging-wise, the old frame had gone, and the bells were hung dead by their
canons (except for the 2nd which had lost them) on oak beams and unsafely
clocked (with their old clappers on improvised staples).  Not sure who did
this job but surely not one of the foundries;  probably a local
ecclesiastical builder of the Dawsons-of-Clutton kind.

Diameters 32 7/8", 34 7/8", 37 3/8", 40 5/8", 45 3/4".  Tenor note about E.

C D