[Bell Historians] Regal Marble Arch organ

Ingrid Nyeboe printmeans at JIuZybbUNqfHY_z13Qbvn-uP-D_1nw-sZxekodzKUUHB6eyVK00OZjUgXRjXuGMUQl5Zi4WG4m_SCg.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 1 00:44:50 GMT 2007

Dear Sir,
The carillon for Marble Arch (organ) was/is a G&J product. I would be VERY interested in the bells (if they are being sold off separately?). Kindly furnish me the vendor details you have obtained.
Much obliged,
J. Johnston

----- Original Message -----
From: Dickon Love
Sent: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 6:56 AM
To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Bell Historians] Regal Marble Arch organ

Ok guys, I have an update having been in touch with the UK Theatre Organ group and its moderator, Peter Hammond.

When the organ was dismantled in c.1966, it was acquired by a gentleman in Cornwall, together with the bells. The conditions were not that good, but nonetheless, it is thought that the entire organ is there. This said gentleman died last summer and his 3 organs (including the Regal one) is now up for sale. The Theatre Organ group were very excited about this as they too were not aware that the organ had been salvaged, and they view it as one of the most important of its type. Their initial thoughts were to set up a Trust to buy the organ and restore it, estimated to be £100k on materials alone. They had all sorts of discussions on where they could reconstruct it, ranging from golf club houses to a suitable Wetherspoons pub. (Many Wetherspoons pubs are in old theatre premises.) However despite the enthusiasm at the time, this does not seem to have happened.

The organ is still up for sale, and I gather the bells are to be sold off separately. I have been given the contact details of the vendor and will be making more enquiries.

In the mean time, I have put some photos of the remains of the carillon and organ taken (I believe) as recently as last year.

I'll keep you updated.

DrL