[Bell Historians] Re: FW: a neglected tower

Richard Offen richard.offen at ids5LdUeHtqkelEVt33Rcq_K74zisLOb95IKBTdqT6rZKIGdtjXQRGeVHgcpvMDZbAtJLykPkrH-6KJvM6R3mA.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 1 13:36:26 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Susan & Christopher Dalton"
<dalton.family at ...> wrote:

> >> Quality of tone is very much subjective.
> >> Like other founders, G&J produced good, mediocre and
> >> poor bells. Some
> >> of their rings had short lives.
>
> Really? Such as where? I can only think of Bowden, and of course St
Mary
> le Bow.

Even at Bowden I believe it was more a case that the locals simply
didn't like G & J bells, I've heard several who rang on the old bells
say they were very pleasant.

> Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the idea behind keeping the
bells at
> Hanley was that the locals had high hopes for the future of the church
and
> didn't wish to see any asset-stripping in the meantime.

Definitely the case!