[Bell Historians] Re: FW: a neglected tower

Susan & Christopher Dalton dalton.family at k3Z7MSBcufNs6KDa_WYzs-pvCP5UElxWyPdNzNw6_lRa0a8aqLXmHFJVdKuxBIPR1jwGA6RPUQ-X_mTf11jqvid-.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 2 18:44:27 GMT 2007

I'll try sending this again, then...

>> Quality of tone is very much subjective.
>> Like other founders, G&J produced good, mediocre and
>> poor bells. Some
>> of their rings had short lives.

Really?  Such as where?  I can only think of Bowden, and of course St Mary
le Bow.

>  I don't remember
>> Hanley being discussed
>> in any flattering terms, like some of their work.
>>
> I think the problems with the quality of Hanley bells
> were more concerned with their inside audibility
> rather than their tone.

Absolutely right.  The problem was rather with the tower than with the
bells, which I remember as first-rate (as one would expect).

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the idea behind keeping the bells at
Hanley was that the locals had high hopes for the future of the church and
didn't wish to see any asset-stripping in the meantime.

C D