systems of weighing

David Bagley david at QrvE6cBLQLP-17XC71SYFd_mYnftQRHY3aF1TDyeKR0LIzMba5-brzfVtvBxetgf-BIXVYoEUFGbkUhjj6ueqMOq.yahoo.invalid
Sun Mar 4 12:59:30 GMT 2007

We all know that the weight of bells is given in cwt-qtrs-lbs, but was this
system ever used for giving the weight of other objects?

I only ask as I watched a program on the salvage of the "Queen Anne's
Revenge" on the telly last night. A canon with the numbers "1730" on it was
recovered from the wreck which went down in 1718, so 1730 couldn't be a
date. It was suggested that 1730 was actually 17-3-0, ie 1988lb, and it
seemed to weigh just under 2000lb using the on gauge they were using.

Does anybody know if the cwt-qtrs-lbs was ever used elsewhere?