[Bell Historians] Worn out garments show new patches

David Cawley dave at 6KwxiNXte7r0qXqctnV_DYDsmf2-zjFbqZfdMkGAbU8_uokW-JflBs77NS4cQccI2Ib4wQa3wZ2A4Tc8TMLwvpU8bw.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 8 21:02:06 GMT 2007

There are a number, the most recent I've been involved with being Westbury-on-Trym, Bristol (1993). A heavy six, L&J cast iron frame of 1902 on mixed foundation. Whitechapel made an excellent job of tuning and restoring the bells and to make doubly sure, the walls were opened up around the ends of the wooden beams. There had been some movement in the walls.  Once opened up, to the ends of the beams were bolted steel channel angles with cleats welded on, and the beam ends then grouted in (with the correct materials!). All movement in the foundation has been eliminated. It also enabled examination of the timber beam ends. The walls were not opened up where the original steels entered, and I imagine they weren't cleated or pegged; but there had been no movement in them nor sign of distress.
I am sure I can think back to a number of instances where a wooden foundation has been subsequently equipped with cleated or pegged anchors firmly grouted into the walls (and in some cases provided with a secondary foundation of steel), with successful results.
I can think of one case where the foundry intended this to be done and it was not done - which was a major disaster -Tenterden, Kent, where the architect forbad the affixing of the anchors when the bells were rehung in 1961; and he did have to pay for the subsequent rehanging ten years later.
By the sounds of it, if the ends of the beams in the case before Andrew are sound, then the fitting and grouting in of anchors to the wooden beams would be a possible way to proceed, provided that the two levels are clamped or bolted together; and it would also give the opportunity to examine the ends of the beams where they are in the walls.

DLC
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andrew Aspland
  To: bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2007 7:53 PM
  Subject: [Bell Historians] Worn out garments show new patches

  I hoped this learned group might be able to help in a not totally historical matter.

  I am considering a proposal to build a new metal frame with one set of new girders going into the wall.  At right angles to the girders are four substantail wooden beams on which it is proposed to mount the new frame and clamp it to them.

  Are there many other examples out there of a mixture of wood and metal foundation beams and how successful/unsuccessful is this situation.  I can only call to mind one such installation.

  Andrew