[Bell Historians] Worn out garments show new patches

Richard Offen richard.offen at fFUK0riEcCIjbtOBEGkGIgV3kcBbQpg3OeXWMxQPWZDmD5FQJJda5JXmH1jNewy3TqyzbqLMPDbaUeviAr52JxFK.yahoo.invalid
Fri Mar 9 09:48:33 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Cawley" <dave at ...>
wrote:

> The operative word NOT has been omitted from between "did"
and "have" in the penultimate line of the penultimate paragraph,
before RCO corrects this! The architect didn't have to pay!

> DLC

I thought, "I'll just read the next few postings before correcting
DLC!"   Good job I did!

I might add that the architect at Tenterden compounded the felony by
having the old frame lifted, the towers sills cleaned off and faced
with concrete.   This gave the frame a wonderful glide path and the
bells went like the sides of houses!   The late Bill Hughes' comments
on the matter are not printable and Harry Parkes used to become
incandescent when the job was mentioned
Arthur Lewry used to look
his usual passive self and comment, in his broad Sussex tones, fag
hanging out of the corner of his mouth, "I knew they'd go badly!"

Within as few years the frame was starting to cause damage to the
tower fabric and we had to raise a considerable amount to put
everything right.