[Bell Historians] Gloucester Cathedral

Richard Offen richard.offen at 3flrqXsmoB7WNpi0qrOqUA5WMrfTTk6gc-a9Yw6s3cmYQfAgXpd8SzgukmSY9lzkSQVd-3sspUE5kqqqGztwR-3fNKg.yahoo.invalid
Tue Mar 13 09:27:19 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "David Bryant" <davidbryant at ...>
wrote:

> > Does anybody have the tuning figures (nominals will suffice) for
> Gloucester Cathedral?
>
> I've looked in the likely places on the web and they aren't there -
as you
> have probably already done, too. I would surmise from this that
Whitechapel
> never released them into the public domain.
>
> David

Not quite correct in my experience.   They will give their tuning
figures out, but usually only to those who have a genuine need for
them.

I'm sure both Nigel Taylor at Whitechapel and Andrew Higson at
Loughborough will testify that one can waste an awful lot of time
rummaging back through tuning books simply to satisfy people's desire
to collect data for no particular reason except for the sake of having
it!

Finished tuning figures are in the public domain anyway, as they can be
easily logged from the bells themselves - even when they are cracked (I
assume the eleventh at Gloucester is the main reason for the
request!).    I'm sure those in authority at Gloucester Cathedral would
be readily furnished with the figures, if they requested them.

Richard