[Bell Historians] Re: St John's Church Hanley

David Bryant davidbryant at 6s-SwUNodx-dkgQFdqtuSTBMPOXY047azAMziGCUBsGm7IwEI2ZIk5cQIRLHhHS_7vBjVY7B_VvmkUqn3OvWCNQExQ.yahoo.invalid
Wed Mar 14 21:32:57 GMT 2007

round.  Ecclesiastical exemption means that the Church of England, the Roman
Catholic Church and a few other denominations which are considered to have
adequate procedures in place for dealing with alterations to places of
worship don't need to apply for Listed Building Consent.  This means that
the local planning authority doesn't have to get involved in fonts, bells
and other things that require a Faculty.  But churches still have to apply
for planning permission for external works, including alterations,
extensions and access ramps."

But as I understand it, the faculty procedure still applies, rather than
secular planning controls, under certain circumstances if the building is no
longer used as a church but still owned by the diocese - hence my question
about whether it has been deconsecrated.