[Bell Historians] Re: Stanton St John

Alan Birney alanjbirney at zD8ufo5D59lbWD-OT4tmnM8AbI_GNxPNvpDJOQ18j1ND49Ait3fBXlDzc57AzZgGbXmj-RJMHUSfVt4Nd_Dz07Rl.yahoo.invalid
Thu Mar 15 19:30:39 GMT 2007

--- In bellhistorians at yahoogroups.com, "Bickerton, Roderic K
\(SELEX\) \(UK\)" <roderic.bickerton at ...> wrote:

> So what is wrong with that? A 9/16" tie's will provide  more than
40 cwt
> each or 1/2" about 35cwt.
> If you have 6 that is over 200cwt preload. How much do you need to
> preload a frame supporting a 6cwt 3? Shallow joints with draw bolts
> produce a stronger frame than deep ones because much less is cut
out of
> the load bearers.
> That is not to say I want to keep it, I just don't like rubbishing
> Mallaby unless it is deserved.

        Barlicks frame is rubbish Rod, I should know, its my home
tower I ring there three times a week and got the bells going, plus
oil the bells every 2 weeks and check them over every month. Frame
heads and cills are split and some of the tie rod have weathered
badly. If the installation had been worth spending more than £230
on, I'd have put new pulleys on and hung them on balls right at the
start a few years ago when I put a new stock on the second and the
all the other new bits to make them ringable.

        My point was that THIS mallaby frame is not worthy of
keeping, not Mallaby frames in general, though the qaulity does
differ quite a bit from place to place ,and as Yorkshire is a hotbed
of Mallaby work and I've seen a lot of thier jobs, I can safely say
that.

Alan